Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Radio Connection Advantage

Dennis Daniel writes:

So you want to get into the radio business, huh? You want to be an Announcer? A DJ? A Copywriter? A Newsperson? A Producer? A Salesperson? A Music Director? Maybe even a Program Director! You figure, "Okay, I'll just go to college, study communications, get my degree, send out resumes and bingo: I'll have a job." Right? Wrong. Dead wrong.

For a career in radio, college is a waste of time and money. Yes, you read it right. In fact, I'll repeat it. College is a waste of time and money. Blasphemy, right? How could I write something so stupid, so idiotic, so irresponsible, so untrue! You may be wondering if it's worth your while to continue reading, right? You must be thinking, "This guy is a nutcase." You may even think I'm like one of those infomercial types, trying to sell you my course on how to make a quick buck or how to buy real estate with no money, or how to lose 100 pounds in a week.

Well, chill out, my friends. I am not one of those hucksters. My name is Dennis Daniel and I've been in the radio business for the last 16 years. I am currently the Creative Director for the WDRE Modern Rock Network, a group of radio stations that broadcast WDRE's Modern Rock Programming to several cities.

I am responsible for all the on-air, in-house produced commercials, comedy and programming-oriented production. I have a staff of six people under me. During my career, I have won almost every major award in radio advertising, including the Clio Award, the Sunny Award, The International Radio Festival, two Firsty and two Radio and Production Awards, and a Boli. For four years I wrote a column called "Tales Of The Tape" for Radio and Production Magazine. The column was designed to help Production Directors deal with the day to day demands placed on them for creativity.

I have consulted several radio stations around the country on production and creativity, and I lecture about it often at local colleges on Long Island. And ... I do not possess a college degree. Never have, never will. What's more ... I never needed it.

No comments: